Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I like Art

I like art that you want to look at over and over again, seeing something new each time. When I create art I lose myself in it and find parts of myself I don’t use in daily life. I hope that viewers can get a glimpse of the less-used parts of themselves.

When I make work to communicate an idea I love the philosophical realisations and moments of clarity that cause the idea of the work to be realised as communication and I use subtle humour to share my way of thinking. In my non-figurative work I make intuitive choices and savour the moment when everything reaches the balance point of vibrant composure, full of ambiguity and atmosphere. I am interested in colour, texture and movement.

Every day I am amazed, I enthusiastically paint my amazement. My studio practice is varied. My painting is primarily concerned with colour. My figurative work tries to puzzle out the different way I see everything and my artists' books are often visual lists. I use my interventions and gestures to make contact with other humans, often offering a moment of cheerful confusion.

Gold & Green Vegetable Forms on Blue, 2006, oil on canvas, 70x80cm

No comments: